[CentOS] Mail server troubles

Fri Oct 9 16:27:07 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 09/10/2020 16:42, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 10/8/20 4:49 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> The school's not happy because in their eyes I'm faulty of badly
>> maintaining
>> their mail server.
>
> As someone with school age children, I've observed that schools seem to
> have a vastly over-inflated view of the importance of their
> communications.  I've provided my email address to my children's schools
> as an EMERGENCY contact method, and I've been receiving notifications of
> every single fund raising activity, athletic event, PTA meeting, etc.,
> etc., ever since - despite multiple complaints.
>
> It seems likely to me that the school's emails are being reported as
> spam by their recipients.  Tell them to look in the mirror.

Further, you need to explain to them that *you* are only responsible for
the policies which dictate which emails *you* accept. You can not
mandate other people to accept your mail. It is their mail server and
they are completely within their rights to run it how they see fit, and
they will.

Of course one hopes you are following industry best practices to aid
your deliverability, but ultimately you are not in control of what
others are willing to accept. If they do not understand this, flip it
around and ask them how they feel about a spammer insisting you accept
their spam and deliver it to all the staff and pupils.