[CentOS] Firefox 78 under CentOS 6 -- no sound?

Wed Oct 21 21:25:43 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 14:03, Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca> wrote:

> Leon Fauster via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>
> >  ... or a general problem. Does some one tried the version from
> >  mozilla?
> >
> >  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr
> >
> >  Can't test it - I don't run EL6 workstations anymore ...
>
> [yves at home firefox]$ ./firefox
> ./firefox: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required
> by ./firefox)
> ./firefox: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required
> by ./firefox)
>
> CentOS 6 only goes up to glibc 2.12.

Basically that says that upstream no longer thinks that Firefox is runnable
on RHEL-6/CentOS-6 anymore. I think there was a similar problem at the end
of EL-5 when a 'YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE' fix from Mozilla was released and
while a lot of work was done by Red Hat to get it to work on RHEL-5, some
items (and I really think it was sound and plugins) did not work. At the
tail end of a release, most 'desktop' concerns are very hard to figure out
as 10 year old software API's are rarely kept working by the various
'upstreams'.

I want to be clear that I do understand this is causing major issues for
users. I think a lesson learned from EL-5 and EL-6 is that EL releases need
to be clearer on the difference between desktops and servers. There seems
to be a point where desktop utilities fixes are mainly going to be
'reasonable effort' versus 'guaranteed' to be 100%... usually in the last 6
months of a release. That way users can plan better that a certain amount
of work is going to be needed by them to continue it working.