[CentOS] X defaults

Tue Oct 27 19:50:47 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 13:20, Michael Hennebry <
> hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to move from Centos 7 to fedora.
>> My monitor is 1440x900, but fedora only believes it's 640x480.

> 1. What kind of video card is this?
> 2.How is the video connected to the monitor? (DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA)
> 3. What kind of monitor is it?
> 4. What version of Fedora and is Fedora trying to do X or Wayland?

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q33 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Acer V193w

Fedora 32, X

> Sometimes if Fedora can only go to generic 640x480 the video card is no
> longer 'supported' by the various X11 drivers.. or the data that the
> monitor is returning to say what it can support is coming back as 640x480.
> Finally this may do better on a fedora mailing list (but they will ask the
> same questions). For a CentOS viewpoint I would ask if it happens if you
> run CentOS-8 (try via a live cd) on the box. If it does happen, then it is
> a problem between Fedora-18 and Fedora-28. If it doesn't happen then it is
> a problem between Fedora 28 and the version of Fedora you are trying.

IIRC Centos 8 does not have a live version.
I expect Fedora-18 to 32 do.

Just rediscoverd Xorg --configure .
Do not remember how I used it.
Not sure how I should.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards