[CentOS] how to restore deleted directory/files

Wed Sep 16 14:15:46 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:00:05PM +0800, qw wrote:

> Thanks for your advice. I will try the tools.
>

> I also found the article about how to create and mount image.
>
> https://midnightprogrammer.net/post/create-mount-and-unmount-img-files-in-ubuntu/
>

> The article says, the image file created by dd should formated in
> ubuntu.
>

> For Centos, should I format the image file before mounting it as
> virtual read-only disk?

You generally don't want to mount it at all, it won't help you recover
anything.

The article is for creating a fresh, unformatted disk image and
mounting it via the loopback.  Since this image is already formatted,
you'd just be deleting data by formatting it.

Anyway, you don't generally need to mount anything if you're using
photorec or similar tools.