[CentOS] Tracking or checking backported kernel patches from upstream

Wed Sep 2 15:17:15 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 9/2/20 9:46 AM, Carlos A. Carnero Delgado wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm interested in finding out if a couple of upstream kernel patches were
> backported into CentOS (RHEL), in particular this one
> <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=512ac999d27>
> and this one
> <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=763a9ec06c4>
> .
>
> What's the procedure? After reading an article
> <https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/what-backporting-and-how-does-it-apply-rhel-and-other-red-hat-products>,
> I went into Red Hat's bugzilla, and tried several search terms (including
> the kernel's commit ID) but found nothing.

There is not really a 'procedure' to do that . certianly not in CentOS.

The RHEL team currently only publishes the linux-*.tar.gz file in the
SOURCES .. they do not publish individual patches, just the tarball with
the patches already applied.

I see no public way .. other than the changelog of the SRPM, to figure
out what is different.

There may be a way for RHEL customers to see individual patches at
access.redhat.com .. but that is not really a CentOS question.

You CAN do a diff on the exploded tarball from the SRPM and either the
last kernel released (to see what is in this update) .. or the
kernel.org reference kernel .. to see what is different from the
kernel.org release.

If there is a public way to actually see the RHEL patches, I'm sure
someone will post it.