[CentOS] erasing a disk

Mon Sep 14 21:44:43 UTC 2020
david <david at daku.org>

At 02:36 PM 9/14/2020, you wrote:
>On 2020-09-14 16:52, Robert Heller wrote:
>>At Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:14:44 -0700 CentOS mailing list
>><centos at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Folks
>>>I've encountered situations where I want to reuse a hard-drive.  I do
>
>If it is a Seagate, don't bother.  They have the highest failure
>rate in the industry.
>
>Look at the SMART statistics before deciding to re-use a disk,
>especially "Reallocated_Sector_Ct,"
>"Power_On_Hours," and run the "extended SMART test."
>
>Todd Merriman
>Software Toolz, Inc.

Todd

The reason I'm reusing a disk is not because of hardware failures,
but rather because I've abandoned a particular use for that disk,
maybe changed operating systems, maybe tried something using ZFS and
want to change to some other techonology.  I know that the best way
to reclaim a disk after read-failures is to wipe it with zeros, and
this takes days.

And by the way, I typically use only WD disks, not seagate.

Thanks for the confirmation.

David