[CentOS] how to restore deleted directory/files

Wed Sep 16 14:34:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-16 06:21, qw wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I remove one directory by running rm -fr ./some-dir. How to restore the directory and its files in the directory?

1. restore from latest backup.

2. if you are very facile with Linux, then you culd try

a. remount read only the mount point where removed directory/file lives
(every write may obliterate some of removed stuff) - AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
b. make dd copy of the whole partition (underlying device actually) to
file, make another copy of that, and use filesystem debugging tools to
undo what your "rm -rf ..." did on that copy.

But this option is for experts in the field, which judging from your
question you are not, so go to 1. Or go to 3.

3. send drive to one of commercial recovery companies. They charge a lot
($1000 will be good of least expensive ones, who charge much less are
likely just frauds), the real ones, as they will try to do what is in 2.

If you need advise on recovery companies, I can give some, though my own
plan always is: I have a good backup.

Valeri