[CentOS] Question regarding cent OS 7.8.2003 compatibility with large SAS disks

Fri Sep 25 05:37:45 UTC 2020
John Pierce <jhn.pierce at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:26 PM Amey Abhyankar <sco1984 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a blade server with SAS HDD's of 12TB in total.
> 3 HDD's of 4TB each.
>
> Is it possible to install Cent OS  7.8.2003 on 12TB disk space?
> I will be installing Cent OS on the bare metal HW.

the SAS hardware has to be SAS2 or newer, as SAS1 had a maximum physical
drive size of around 2tb

and the boot volume has to be GPT as MBR has a 2TB limit.

otherwise, sky is the limit, however, what the other guys say, I do NOT put
my OS on my data raids,  its usually on its own mirror of two small drives.

I also tend to avoid "hardware" raid cards, and prefer HBA cards that
present the drives as plain SAS devices, then use the OS's native storage
management for raid (mdraid + LVM for Linux, ZFS on FreeBSD, etc)..   I
generally spec raid 10 for performance data, and raid 6 or 60 for bulk
data.   raid5 is frowned on these days, disks are so big, and rebuild times
are long enough that the risk of a double failure is fairly high.