[CentOS] JFS for CentOS 7

Fri Sep 25 21:42:50 UTC 2020
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2020 08:07 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:
> >> I had installed kmod-jfs in an earlier version of CentOS 7, 7.4 if I remember correctly. I now have a machine running the latest version of jfs module but kmod-jfs does not seem to be available.
> >>
> >> Is anyone running it on the current version of CentOS?
> > My suggestion is to use the centosplus kernel (kernel-plus) instead.
> > jfs is enabled in this kernel.
> >
> > Akemi

> Would I simply install it by using yum? Are there any downsides to installing this kernel vs. relying on the standard kernel?

To install the kernel-plus:

# yum --enablerepo=centosplus install kernel-plus

Boot into the just installed kernel-plus and check to see if jfs is
working as expected. If all is fine, change the default kernel to
kernel-plus:

# yum-config-manager --setopt=centosplus.includepkgs=kernel-plus
--enablerepo=centosplus --save
# sed -e 's/^DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel$/DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-plus/' -i
/etc/sysconfig/kernel

I would not say there is any downside, but I'm highly biased. ;)

Akemi