[CentOS] External harddisk

Wed Sep 30 16:15:41 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-30 10:55, Mark (Netbook) wrote:
> Since you have taken the disk apart it will now be useless as within the
> enclosure there could have been a vacuum or an inert gas.

No, old drives were filled with air usually, and were connected to
exterior atmosphere via porous barrier. That is why regular drives are
much more likely to fail up in the mountains, say where the is about 1/2
of normal atmospheric pressure. Pressure inside ordinary drive is the
same as external pressure, and heads are just spring loaded and are
resting on platter surface, and are pushed away from it when platters
spin (hence so called "parking track" ). Air works as viscous liquid at
these relative speeds, and the law is at least cubic, so at 1/2
atmosphere heads are much closer to platter surface. Therefore, failures
are quite likely. Sealed drives are still not wide spread, He (helium)
filled would be one type. But sealed drives existed even some 25+ years
ago (to be used at Astronomy observatories high in mountains, e.g.). I
remember HP drives of that kind that costed $10k apiece back then, and
those dollars, not today's dollars.

What you are right about is: the drive upon opening got contaminated
with solid dust particles, and will not serve long. But fair chance is,
one still will be able to get data off it.

> You will never be able to recover any data on the disk unless you go and
> pay for a professional data recovery organisation to read the platters.

While he may be able to recover data, professional recovery are more
likely to succeed. They will be not happy to work with drive that was
opened not in a "clean room", and my charge more. Be it I, I definitely
will tell them that drive was opened not in clean room, they will know
anyway once they have drive.

Valeri