[CentOS] Problem with chromium 89.0.4389.82

Mon Apr 5 16:31:36 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 04/05/2021 11:56 AM, H wrote:
>> On 04/05/2021 01:38 AM, Frank Cox wrote:

>>> Javascript is disabled?
>>>
>> No, just checked that Javascript is allowed in the browser settings.
>> When I load the browser and try to access eg nytimes.com I see
>> "Establishing secure connection" in the bottom infobar and that's where
>> it seems to get stuck.
>>
>> I wonder if some other software was also updated and the new version of
>> that not loaded until I had to reload the browser and is the root cause
>> of the problem??

> Continuing to research this and while googling - using Firefox since that
> does not work either for me right now - I found some mention of a
> temporary fix of changing proxy settings. I went to the Advanced/proxy
> settings in my chromium and get an error message:
>
> --
>
> When running Chromium under a supported desktop environment, the system
> proxy settings will be used. However, either your system is not supported
> or there was a problem launching your system configuration.
>
> But you can still configure via the command line. Please see |man
> chromium-browser| for more information on flags and environment variables.
>
> --
>
> Very weird. I have not used a proxy on this computer but this might be the
> reason for my problem? Anyone else have had similar problem?

Some of our users wanted Chrome instead of Firefox so we installed
Chromium from EPEL for them. Over the time, we had several problems where
a build didn't work and also updates were not in time. We also had
problems where some people were able to run chromium while others were
unable to launch it with their profile, even on the same host.

We solved the issue by removing chromium completely and told our users
that Firefox has to be used :-)

Regards,
Simon