[CentOS] CentOS 8

Fri Apr 9 15:38:06 UTC 2021

On 4/9/21 10:31 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 4/9/21 5:18 AM, Steve Clark via CentOS wrote:
>> On 4/8/21 3:50 PM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Nicolas Kovacs
>> <info at microlinux.fr><mailto:info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>>

>> Le 08/04/2021 à 18:58, Steve Clark via CentOS a écrit :
>>

>> How do I allow root log in on GDM.
>>

>> tl;dr: you don't.
>>
>> Log in as a non-root user, and when you do need root, either open up a
>> terminal
>> and use 'su -' or (even better) setup your user by making your user a
>> member of
>> the wheel group and then use sudo.
>>
>> Logging in to a GUI as root is *BAD* practice.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niki
>>

>> That said - you can do it, by clicking on "Not listed?" and typing root
>> into the user field.
>>
>> Yes I have done that and it immediately comes back to the login screen,
>> I know I am typing the
>> correct passwd, because if I botch the passwd I get a message to that
>> effect.
>>

> I would not recommend ever using the GUI as the root user .. it creates
> keys and items that are very dangerous. (gnome key rings, etc)

+1000

> You should be able to 'su -' , then use visudo to create a sudo account
> for your user.  You can even NOPASSWD your user for using sudo (you may
> or may not want to do that .. if someone gains access to your local
> account, they could then sudo with no passwd).

In the past I even avoided sudo. It yet one more SUID-ed binary on your
machine. Which may add to your potential [local, in general]
vulnerability footprint. su, - making yourself root is more than enough
for regular sysadmin.

> But, i have never, ever logged in as root on a GUI account directly on a
> machine that I cared about or was keeping live .. just advise, do with
> it what you will.

+1

To OP: Do as you wish, and deal with consequences.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago