[CentOS] CentOS 8 issues.

Sun Apr 4 23:46:15 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 18:33:16 -0500
Frank Ramaekers wrote:

> Okay, I made a foolish mistake a few months ago and upgraded my perfectly
> running CentOS 7 to CentOS 8 and have been struggling ever since.

How did you "upgrade" your computer?  In-place upgrading from C7 to C8 isn't something that you're supposed to do.  The best solution is/was/would have been to backup your data, then reformat your system with the new OS and restore your data.

Since kernel version 3.10 is a C7 kernel, at the least you're still running a C7 kernel on what might otherwise be (part of?) a C8 installation, and who knows what else behind the scenes.  You've apparently got something going here that's neither fish nor fowl; it's isn't exactly C7 and it's not really C8 either.

Since you don't really know what's broken here, you'll find yourself spending an awful lot of time chasing gremlins.  At this point, my suggestion would be take the recommended action.  Backup your data, then reformat your system with the new OS and restore your data.