[CentOS] CentOS 8

Fri Apr 9 15:31:06 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/9/21 5:18 AM, Steve Clark via CentOS wrote:
> On 4/8/21 3:50 PM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Nicolas Kovacs
> <info at microlinux.fr><mailto:info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>

> Le 08/04/2021 à 18:58, Steve Clark via CentOS a écrit :
>

> How do I allow root log in on GDM.
>

> tl;dr: you don't.
>
> Log in as a non-root user, and when you do need root, either open up a
> terminal
> and use 'su -' or (even better) setup your user by making your user a
> member of
> the wheel group and then use sudo.
>
> Logging in to a GUI as root is *BAD* practice.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki
>

> That said - you can do it, by clicking on "Not listed?" and typing root
> into the user field.
>
> Yes I have done that and it immediately comes back to the login screen,
> I know I am typing the
> correct passwd, because if I botch the passwd I get a message to that
> effect.

I would not recommend ever using the GUI as the root user .. it creates
keys and items that are very dangerous. (gnome key rings, etc)

You should be able to 'su -' , then use visudo to create a sudo account
for your user.  You can even NOPASSWD your user for using sudo (you may
or may not want to do that .. if someone gains access to your local
account, they could then sudo with no passwd).

But, i have never, ever logged in as root on a GUI account directly on a
machine that I cared about or was keeping live .. just advise, do with
it what you will.