[CentOS] Resize a VM: any risk involved ?

Sun Apr 11 13:36:46 UTC 2021
Antonio da Silva Martins Junior <asmartins at uem.br>

Em sáb., 10 de abr. de 2021 às 05:25, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
escreveu:

> > Hi,
> >
> >     Wow... I didn't know about "growpart" :)
> >
> >      I do, however, on XenServer (now XCP-NG) almost the same thing for
> > ages:
> >
> >      - shutdown the VM
>
> I thought we're talking about doing it online, which is quite a different
> thing because rereading partition layouts isn't always working as expected
> without a reboot.

Well, from this part of the text, I had presumed the machine was down:

"Here's how I expand the available disk size.

First I increase the virtual disk in the hypervisor.

Then I fire up the VM and do the following:"

What I do can be made with the machine online, but partprobe many times
refuses to find the new size of the partitions, then, I just programe this
on my maintenance window and shut all down. Made all the changes and
upgrades necessary at once.

     Att.,

            Antonio.