[CentOS] How to organize your VMs

Tue Apr 13 12:06:29 UTC 2021
Brian (bex) Exelbierd <bexelbie at redhat.com>

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 6:15 AM Steven Tardy <sjt5atra at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:13 PM Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
> > I'd be curious to have your input, since I'm fairly new to this sort of
> > approach.
> >

> This is the whole pets VS cattle choice.
>
> IMO each VM should have a singular use/purpose/app. VMs are effectively
> free. And also prevents unintended negative upgrade interactions.
>
> Think through this to the logical end as each process is it’s own
> environment/container/(docker) or each user execution is a unique instance
> (serverless).

While my services are used by fewer people (and fewer in number), this
is where my most recent server rebuild took me.  i have been trying to
use containers exclusively as it reduces the surface I have to
maintain, assuming I can't find a trusted container source.
Additionally, I am thinking ahead to the future where I hope that the
OS will become available in a container-runner form where the surface
is further reduced.  My needs don't rise to the level of an OpenShift,
but it sounds like yours may, especially given the WP instances.

regards,

bex