[CentOS] rsync over ssh stalls after completing the job

Tue Apr 13 17:52:47 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:43:16 -0500
Christopher Wensink wrote:

> Does it behave any differently when adding a & at the end of the command
> when running it manually, or running in a screen session?

Nope.  I get the same stall both ways.  Running it in a screen session looks exactly like what I posted earlier, and the & at the end of the command looks like this:

[me at mutt temp]$ rsync -avv ../temp/ jeff:temp &
[1] 15694
opening connection using: ssh jeff rsync --server -vvlogDtpre.iLsfxC . temp  (7 args)
[me at mutt temp]$ sending incremental file list
delta-transmission enabled
bookmarks.html is uptodate
abc
total: matches=38  hash_hits=38  false_alarms=0 data=0
^C

The difference here is that I don't see the "rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(644) [sender=3.1.3]" after the ctrl-c when I use the &.  That line shows up only without the &.