[CentOS] Proxmox Backup Server equivalent for the RHEL/CentOS world ?

Fri Apr 16 22:20:53 UTC 2021
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2021-04-16 14:35 Nikolaos Milas ha scritto:
> On 16/4/2021 10:10 π.μ., Felix Kölzow wrote:
>
>> you may take a look at _rear_ (it is that easy how it looks like)
>
> You may also want to check mondo:
>
>    http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml (the website is not updated
>    regularly!)
>
> I am using it for many years, since CentOS 5 (until now with CentOS 8).
>
> There may be a few glitches, but otherwise I am pretty satisfied.
>
> It supports bare metal recovery and can be used for cloning too.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

Hi, while relax-and-recover, mondorescue and similar tools have their
place, I mostly find them outdated for VM backup. The main reason is
that they have difficult providing low RTO and RPO.

For my current low-cost linux hypervisors I use a ZFS filesystem, with
backups done leaveraing a mix of both ZFS send/recv and rsnapshot. More
specifically:
- rolling hourly snapshots are taked via sanoid;
- the primary datastore (with raw disk images) is replicated with 1min
interval (thanks to send/recv) to a second, standby server. This
guarantee a byte-for-byte copy of all the virtual machines backing files
*and* the capability to quickly restart all VMs in case the first server
dies;
- a third machine does rsnapshot-based backup of the data inside the VMs
themselves, for added convenience in recovering a single file and for
longer historical retention.

This backup scheme as served me very well.
Just my 2c.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan