[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Tue Apr 27 15:32:19 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/27/21 9:29 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 4/27/21 8:55 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
>> On Tue, 2021-04-27 at 09:36 -0400, Carlos Oliva wrote:
>>> Thank you for your response Rich. I have heard that Stream is beta
>>> releases of RH -- rather distressing. Is this a proper characterization?
>>>
>> You heard wrong.
>>
>> Stream is effectively a rolling early release of the next point release
>> of RHEL. The packages in stream are fully tested and have gone through
>> QA.  They are not beta releases.
>>

> With all due respect, - and avoiding the names to not scratch against
> "release,..." definitions, he is more correct in his feelings (that what
> you say) which I would formulate as "stream users are sort of Guinea
> pigs for RedHat releases".
>
> And mind that I have no emotions about it as my servers are FreeBSD for
> over a decade. And new number crunchers and workstations going Debian
> since CentOS ceased to be RedHat Enterprise binary replica was such a
> minor change...
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Valeri
>
>> The disadvantage of Stream is that it doesn't have the full 10 year
>> support of RHEL and doesn't have the full binary compatibility to RHEL.

You would be hard pressed to find many FUNCTIONAL differences between
Stream and CentOS Linux // just as you would be hard pressed to find
many differences between RHEL 8.2 and RHEL 8.3, for example.

Are there some differences?  Sure.

If people don't want stream, then by all means , use something else.

CentOS 7 Linux will be around until the RHEL 7 EOL .. CentOS 8 Linux
will be around until 31 Dec 2021 and CentOS Stream will be around for %
years after the RHEL 8 Release.  CentOS Stream 9 will be around until
for 5 years after the RHEL 9 release.

It is what it is .. all the negative comments are not going to change it.

For people who can not accept this and live with it .. life is too short
for so much negative emotions.  Go places and use things that make you
happy.