[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Fri Apr 30 14:26:57 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/30/21 4:32 AM, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 2021-04-30 06:55 Gordon Messmer ha scritto:
>> Why do you think that?  Are RHEL (and CentOS) point releases backward
>> compatible or not?  If you trust point releases to work, why would you
>> hesitate to trust a distribution that resembles an upcoming point
>> release?
>
> Because it very often break kABI compatibility, with 3rd party module
> heavily affected.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I understand that Stream is the way forward and that
> things are not going to change, and this is fine. But trying to ignore
> the key differences (shorter support, unknown upgrade from Stream-8 to
> Stream-9, broken kABI, etc) is not useful to anyone.
>
> Stream is a *different* product, because is avoid (for the good or the
> bad) basically *all* things that make RHEL so special. And lets face it:
> kABI and long/quality support from RedHat are the only two things which
> make RHEL special. Stripping them from CentOS will produce a very
> different product. And, as a side note, things break more often on
> Stream-8 then CentOS8. Maybe Stream only needs to mature, but it still a
> different product.
>
> My personal opinion is that RH created Stream to give cloud vendors a
> place to experiment/repackage *before* adding that to the main RHEL
> distro. Stream really does not seem targeted aSo, t small sites / "normal"
> sysadmins, rather at large cloud vendors.
>
> Which, again, is perfectly fine unless trying to disguise it as an
> "almost-RHEL" distro.
> Regards.

Sure .. so block kernels and build your own in that situation.  Or use
something else.  There are always edge cases.  There are millions of
CentOS users.  What percentage use 3rd party modules (other than nvidia
drivers).  There are some, and this would be a problem for those people.

So, IF another downstream distro works for you .. use it.  Or use Debian
or Ubuntu, or BSD.  Use Alma or Rocky Linux.  Buy RHEL.

Any number of solutions.