[CentOS] Upgrading (?) from legacy boot to UEFI

Sat Aug 28 06:58:12 UTC 2021
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 27/08/21 10:51 pm, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Unfortunately the server is remote and the CentOS7 USB device I left
> plugged into the machine refuses to boot from UEFI mode. Thus a rescue
> mode boot has not been possible.

So i made a trip and replaced the USB stick with another one - CentOS7

> I am unsure what file I need to point the UEFI bios disk manager setup
> at, I have tried shim.efi and shimx84-centos.efi
>
> The message I get is that linux16 and initrd16 cannot find their
> files. The change to linuxefi and initrdefi also fail but the system
> reboot happens before I can see what flashes on screen.
>
> Is a USB based UEFI booted rescue mode the only way I can fix this?

So I then rebooted - selected UEFI native boot and got into rescue mode
- only problem is that the rescue system did not find a Linux system.
Really weird as each of the four drives effectively have a complete
centos7 system. No idea why it didn't start md raid and find the 6 raid1
volumes.

About to give this a miss and just live with legacy boot - this UEFI
thing is just far too complicated. Looking on line at all the various
blogs and questions it seems I am not alone in finding it far too
complicated.

I run a Ubuntu workstation that is UEFI based and their grub.cfg is so
much simpler than the centos one.