[CentOS] Newest kernel issue, C7

Wed Aug 4 14:14:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 09:38:11AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> On 2021-08-03 10:20, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 10:17:09AM -0400, mark wrote:
> > > Just fullyu updated yesterday. The reboot gets past Centos (core)...
> > > and
> > > reboots. Repeatedly. messages *look* as though it got up... and then
> > > reboot.
> >
> > Are you booting into graphical.target (gdm) or multi-user.target (text
> > login)?  Have you removed 'rhgb quiet' from the kernel parameters to
> > see what it is doing?  Can you boot into the rescue target and poke
> > around in the journal to see what's going on?
>
> Since I.m traveling, I.ll do some when I get home...but as a sysadmin, I
> *always* remove the rhgb quiet. Iknow it got past the base, and had gotten
> to welcome to:, Sometheing shortly after that, it reboots. Is there still
> the interactive option? If so, I can use that... thanks

No, there's no longer an interactive option, since it's no longer a
linear boot.

Any chance that you're seeing:

   Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb"

I suspect that you're dropping into emergency mode, but it is failing
to launch the login prompt and rebooting.  You could append 'rd.break'
to the kernel command line in grub2 to make the initramfs break before
trying to switch over to the boot OS, so you could poke around a bit
more.  The OS is in the /sysroot dir, you can chroot and run commands
like rpm -V and journalctl to see if there's any useful data.