[CentOS] virt-manager and windows quest

Thu Aug 5 18:39:29 UTC 2021
Jyrki Tikka <jyrki.tikka at iki.fi>

On Thu, 2021-08-05 at 08:53 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am trying to get a windows guest on CentOS 7.9 to have more than
> 800x600
> display.
>
> I started the Windows client, I downloaded Virtio 0.1.196.iso, went
> to the
> Device Manager, Display, right clicked - updated the driver -
> installed the
> qxldod driver,
> Rebooted.
>
> The Device Manager shows RedHat QXL Controller but I still only get
> 800x600
> ghosted on Display Settings.
>
> Properties - shows "Windows has stopped this device as it reported a
> problem (Code 43)".
>
> What do I do with that ?  This is the same error I had with I first
> tried
> VirtIO 0.1.185.iso

After reading your message I noticed that my Windows guests were using
the Cirrus display. Don't know why - maybe that was the only one that
worked when I installed the first one. I've had no need for larger
displays on the virt-manager console since I use the Windows guests
through RDP.

Anyway, I changed the display to QXL, rebooted, installed the qxldod
driver, rebooted and all the usual display resolutions are now
available. The only difference is that I used an older version of the
virtio DVD - 0.1.171

<(*) Jyrki