[CentOS] A Blast from the past

Tue Aug 17 16:11:16 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 12:02, Mark Woolfson <mrw at mwcltd.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Unfortunately the manufacturer of our application software will only support
> it on RHEL/CentOS 7.0. I have asked and that is all they say.
> When the CentOS 7.0 boots it does not recognise the CPU ID, flags it as a
> soft error then continues.
> The Haswell and the Ice Lake both have 28 cores but different frequencies.
> A couple of clues. At the boot prompt the server cooling fans are running
> slowly. When it hangs, after a short delay, the fans run faster and this is
> repeated.
> Also, when it hangs the keyboard is unresponsive and the server status LED's
> state that all is okay.
> If Intel adhere to the x86_64 standard for their processors then surely the
> only difference would be the addition functionality.
> I am trying to find a resolution as this particular application is perfect
> for our requirements.

You will either need an older computer or a different application. A
company which only supports a .0 version of an OS usually means they
aren't really supporting their customers. They are expecting you to
run an application on an OS without any security updates or
improvements. There are 7 years of CVE's in the kernel, libraries and
other parts the customer has to live with if they want the
application. Good luck.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in