[CentOS] Upgrading (?) from legacy boot to UEFI

Sat Aug 28 13:03:47 UTC 2021

On Aug 28, 2021, at 05:58, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it is astounding to me that RH does not define their implementation of the grub2 grub.cfg file with particular focus on the things that are different between legacy boot and UEFI. Also what (if any) differences there may be in the initramfs and vmlinuz files between the two boot options. then we have the various .efi files with little or no documentation. So we are left with anaconda ....

I don’t think migrating from a legacy bootloader to UEFI (on the same hardware) is a common enough process to document.

I do notice you have a kernel listed with a .efi extension, and I’ve never seen that before.

Typically on a UEFI C7 system, all the kernels and initrds are in /boot.  Only the EFI executables and supplementary grub files are in the /boot/efi volume (normally /boot/efi/EFI/CentOS). I don’t know where you got that kernel efi file.

—
Jonathan Billings