[CentOS] something is hammering non-existant floppy

Mon Dec 13 06:04:51 UTC 2021
Jon LaBadie <jcu at labadie.us>

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 07:45:03AM -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>On Dec 11, 2021, at 23:19, Jon LaBadie <jcu at labadie.us> wrote:
>>
>> On my CentOS7 system, I'm getting message sequences in
>> /var/log/message and in the journal that are nearly identical
>> to the sequence below.  They come in multiple times per second.
>>
>> I've deleted the timestamps and system name from the messages.
>>
>> kernel: floppy0: Getstatus times out (0) on fdc 0
>> kernel: kernel: floppy driver state
>> kernel: -------------------
>> kernel: now=4476158515 last interrupt=4476158452 diff=63 last called handler=reset_interrupt [floppy]
>> kernel: timeout_message=floppy start
>> kernel: last output bytes:
>> kernel: 8 81 4388061306
>> kernel: 3 80 4388061326
>> kernel: 8 80 4476158452
>> kernel: 12 80 4476158471
>> kernel: last result at 4476158452
>> kernel: last redo_fd_request at 4476158471
>> kernel: status=0
>> kernel: fdc_busy=1
>> kernel: timer_function=ffffffffc01daf70 expires=2957
>> kernel: cont=ffffffffc01dc400
>> kernel: current_req=ffff9b0e72239c80
>> kernel: command_status=-1
>> kernel:
>> I persume something is trying to access the system's
>> floppy disk drive that does not exist.  But I have
>> been unable to identify what's triggering all this
>> activity.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Any chance you have something like automount/autofs set up with
>a mountpoint for the floppy device?
>
>>Jonathan Billings

Certainly not intentionally.  And nothing in /etc/auto.* to
suggest so.  Also:

$ systemctl status autofs.service
● autofs.service - Automounts filesystems on demand
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/autofs.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)

On my two Fedora systems I get "autofs.service not found".
Perhaps it is masked there.

Jon

Jon H. LaBadie                  jcu at labadie.us