[CentOS] Introducing CentOS Stream 9

Fri Dec 3 17:58:27 UTC 2021
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Rich Bowen has posted a blog entry "Introducing CentOS Stream 9"
>
> https://blog.centos.org/2021/12/introducing-centos-stream-9/
>
> More details here:
>
> https://centos.org/stream9/

I installed CentOS 9 Stream on Nov 17  as a VM. (VMware note: to
install from the DVD ISO, you must use UEFI boot and the "Secure"
option must be deselected.)

I did a quick summary of some of the packages that are important to us
at work; obviously, our work priorities may not align with your needs,
but you might find the list useful in case you're interested in CentOS
itself or in what RHEL 9 or its clones (Oracle, Rocky, etc) is likely
to resemble:

Base OS:
* glibc 2.34
* kernel 5.14.0
* openssh 8.7p1
* openssl 3.0.3
* python3 3.9.8
* samba 4.14.5

AppStream:
* Bacula 11.0.1
* gcc 11.2.1
* httpd 2.4.48
* java 8, java 11, java 17
* mariadb 10.5.12
* mysql 8.0.22
* nginx 1.20.1
* openmpi 4.1.1
* perl 5.32.1 + all modules
* php 8.0.6
* postgresql 13.3
* python3 modules

Of note: java, perl and ruby are entirely streams now, while python
remains tied to the base OS. All RDBMS releases are streams. There is
no Tomcat! libgcc is part of the base OS but is also a stream. I'm not
sure how that will work.

As of yesterday, "dnf module list" is pretty sparse. I assume that
will change over time.

So far, my overall impression is that it behaves not too differently
from EL8/CentOS 8.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com