[CentOS] something is hammering non-existant floppy

Sun Dec 12 04:18:48 UTC 2021
Jon LaBadie <jcu at labadie.us>

On my CentOS7 system, I'm getting message sequences in
/var/log/message and in the journal that are nearly identical
to the sequence below.  They come in multiple times per second.

I've deleted the timestamps and system name from the messages.

kernel: floppy0: Getstatus times out (0) on fdc 0
kernel:
kernel: floppy driver state
kernel: -------------------
kernel: now=4476158515 last interrupt=4476158452 diff=63 last called handler=reset_interrupt [floppy]
kernel: timeout_message=floppy start
kernel: last output bytes:
kernel: 8 81 4388061306
kernel: 3 80 4388061326
kernel: d1 90 4388061326
kernel: a 90 4388061326
kernel: 7 90 4388061326
kernel: 0 90 4388061326
kernel: 8 81 4388061730
kernel: 3 80 4388061751
kernel: c1 90 4388061751
kernel: 10 90 4388061751
kernel: 7 80 4388061751
kernel: 0 90 4388061751
kernel: 8 81 4388062074
kernel: 7 80 4388062075
kernel: 0 90 4388062075
kernel: 8 81 4388062399
kernel: 8 80 4402157917
kernel: 8 80 4402213377
kernel: 8 80 4476158452
kernel: 12 80 4476158471
kernel: last result at 4476158452
kernel: last redo_fd_request at 4476158471
kernel: status=0
kernel: fdc_busy=1
kernel: timer_function=ffffffffc01daf70 expires=2957
kernel: cont=ffffffffc01dc400
kernel: current_req=ffff9b0e72239c80
kernel: command_status=-1
kernel:

I persume something is trying to access the system's
floppy disk drive that does not exist.  But I have
been unable to identify what's triggering all this
activity.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Jon H. LaBadie                  jcu at labadie.us