[CentOS] how to clear out /var/cache?

Fri Dec 31 02:39:02 UTC 2021
Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com>

Skylar: that's more or less what I've been doing, looking for huge things
in /.

Kenneth: the latest version of kdirstat appears to now be named qdirstat,
no kde bits required. it is certainly a handy way to quickly find the disk
space sinks. Thanks for the pointer.

but I still don't know the proper way to clear out a lot of this stuff. I
certainly don't want to hose my system.

It is C7, up to date, and it has been running for at least five years with
partitions as they are set now: / is 50 gigs. had a popup message this
morning telling me that / was nearly full. found it with 2 gigs free.
sounds as if something has been slowly eating away at the space. I could
use gparted to rearrange things, making / bigger, but as it has been going
for five years, it strikes me that it more likely needs a lot of garbage
collection to be done. I've manually cleaned up some detritus, it now
reports 3.7G free which should hold me for a little while.

So, can anyone advise me on what is and what is not safe to whack/delete
from the root partition?

Thanks!

Fred