[CentOS] not a Centos topic, but since many had concerns ......

Tue Feb 2 23:21:30 UTC 2021

On 2/2/21 5:10 PM, R C wrote:

> On 2/2/21 4:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 03:49:35PM -0700, R C wrote:
>>> This is what I read today, might have been around longer though,
>>> don't know.
>>>

>>> "New Year, new Red Hat Enterprise Linux programs: Easier ways to
>>> access RHEL"
>>>
>>> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel
>>>
>> It came out a few weeks ago but the program is live as of yesterday.
>>
>> In short:
>>
>> 1. Register at https://developers.redhat.com/register
>>
>> 2. You'll now see a developer subscription allowing up to 16 systems
>> listed
>>     at https://access.redhat.com/management/subscriptions
>>
>> 3. Download and install from
>> https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download
>>
>> 4. sudo subscription-manager register --username $USERNAME
>>     (where $USERNAME is the email address you registered with)
>>
>> and there you go.
>>
>> It says "Developer Subscription" but the new terms allow each
>> individual to
>> have up to 16 systems for production use. See the (single page) terms
>> here:
>
> I would not use it for production, or commercial purposes, just so I
> have the same at home (or close) as at work. I wonder, does that mean
> you can have  up to 16 licensed servers/workstations running at a time?
> Or over time, when you discard equipment, and need to install another
> machine/desktop, whatever by the time you're at 17 start paying?

When I was thinking similar situation over - with different kind of
proprietary product free up to some number... my sentiment ended up
being: OK, I plan all my future well, and fit all into that restricted
number, let's say 16. But what if at some point they change their mind
and this number suddenly becomes 12. I definitely can not plan what in
the future they will do. And specifically recent events showed that they
do change things.

And the I went free open source route. And never regretted.

But it is everybody's individual decision, and those who make it will
have only themselves to blame if ever get into trouble as the result.

Incidentally, I for one blame myself that I have to change my routine
from CentOS [to Debian]. Not that that is much of a hassle. This is not
the first migration in my life, and hopefully not the last one ;-) -
meaning long life for myself, not short life for Debian.

Valeri