[CentOS] Filesystem choice for BackupPC extrenal drive

Fri Feb 5 07:04:38 UTC 2021
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2021-02-05 01:41 Kenneth Porter ha scritto:
> I'm setting up a CentOS 7 box as a BackupPC 4 server to back up
> Windows boxes on my LAN. I'm using an external 1.5 TB USB drive for
> the "pool". BackupPC deduplicates by saving all files in a pool, a
> directory hiearchy with each file named for the checksum of the file,
> and the directories acting as a hash tree to reach each pool file. A
> backup for a specific workstation is a directory tree of checksums and
> metadata that point into the pool for the actual file data.
> Incremental backups are reverse deltas from periodic "filled" backups
> of all files. I'm using rsyncd to pull changed files from the
> workstations.
>
> I'm deciding which filesystem to use for my external drive. I'm
> thinking the main candidates are ext4 and xfs. What's the best
> filesystem for this application?

While being a fan of XFS, for an external drive I would use EXT4. My
(anectodal) experience is that EXT3/4 is more resilient to flacky
hardware/connection as the one provided my many USB adapters.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico