[CentOS] Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Fri Feb 5 17:22:48 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Am 05.02.21 um 17:21 schrieb Nicolas Kovacs:
>> Le 05/02/2021 à 17:03, Lamar Owen a écrit :
>>> I thought long and hard about it before posting to the CentOS lists,
>>> because I
>>> don't want to be perceived as advocating for a particular transition
>>> path.
>>
>> I found your post highly interesting, even though I chose a different
>> path:
>>
>> https://blog.microlinux.fr/migration-centos-oracle-linux-cas-pratique/
>>

> Hi Niki, as you did that move. I have a question: Comparing C8 with OL8
> (rpmlist) I noticed that a lot of OL8 packages have a different NVR
> especially the "Release" is bumped up (e.g .0.1 added). I wonder how
> much the OL8 distro diverges from upstream. It seems that such altered
> packages are passing the rebranding package count. What's your impression?

I'm not Niki but I try to answer anyway :)

I did the move and also looked at several source RPMs. One thing to note
is that by default, you'll end up with packages replaced by updated
packages from UEK repository. I've removed the UEK repo and replaced all
packages with the corresponding base packages. That brings you very close
to what you have with RHEL/CentOS. Additionally what I found in the source
RPMs is that Oracle decided to add some patches/changes fixings issues
tracked in Oracle tracking system.

I don't think these changes are a problem because they mostly fix things
which maybe RedHat voted not to fix. At least that's my impression.

Regards,
Simon