[CentOS] OT: Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Fri Feb 5 17:32:22 UTC 2021

THIS IS OT comment

On 2/5/21 11:20 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 2/5/21 11:32 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:

> Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't find naming differences to be big
> differences.  Like I keep telling optical astronomers, radio astronomy
> is just observing at another wavelength; I get a lot of mean looks when
> I say that, too.  It's all light, why are humans so special that our
> three sensory passbands centered around 450nm, 540nm, and 575nm should
> be so important?  Why is the 400nm-700nm band more important than say
> 1000nm to 1700nm other than human eyes' sensitivities?  Package naming
> is syntactic sugar, no more and no less, IMHO.

Agree in general, but there may be huge difference physics wise. One
example; at very low frequencies you finally will hit huge 1/f noise
(1/f noise is fundamental property of the nature). But in general,
observation frequencies are defined more by for which frequency you can
get cheap equipment. Which ends up being military radio location and
radio navigation ones (a lot of stuff is produced for military, hence
less unique equipment == cheaper prices).

Valeri