[CentOS] Permission denied when updating CentOS 8 Streams

Sat Feb 20 22:33:54 UTC 2021
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 2/19/21 12:37 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>    - Curl error (7): Couldn't connect to server for
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=8-stream&arch=x86_64&repo=AppStream&infra=stock
> [Failed to connect to mirrorlist.centos.org port 80: Permission denied]

It's unusual to see EPERM on a call to connect()... The man page
suggests that this can be caused by a local firewall rule or an SELinux
policy.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/connect.2.html

"yum" and "wget" should be running in an unconfined domain, so SELinux
is *probably* not the cause.  I'd take a look at the output of "iptables
-L OUTPUT" first.  I've tried creating local firewall rules that I'd
expect to result in EPERM, but they do not, so I'm not sure what such a
rule looks like.