[CentOS] Intel/64 CentOS VM running on a Mac M1?

Thu Feb 4 00:28:39 UTC 2021
Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Friday, January 29, 2021 6:30:33 AM PST Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 20:12, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> > My Dell Precision M3800 running Fedora works great but is really starting
> > show its age, and I'm thinking about getting a new Mac M1-based laptop as
> > it
> > would really be useful for Video production.
> >
> > But I really need to have a IA64 CentOS 7/8 VMs running locally for
> > development as I'm often on the road and flaky Internet makes it a
> > necessity to
> > keep productivity up. I've been unable to officially confirm that VMWare/
> > Parallels/VirtualBox intend to support IA64 based OS's and it *needs* to
> > be an
> > exact (VM) copy of production so I can trial environments and builds prior
> > roll out.
>
> 1. The Apple M1 uses a variant of the aarch64 (ARM 64 bit) CPU, and the
> hardware architecture is different from aarch64 server class hardware in
> multiple ways.
> 2. Currently the work to get Linux to run on the M1 works great in
> emulation and somewhat with a lot of work in native mode.
> 3. IA64 is the Itanium server which Intel stopped making a while ago and
> Red Hat quit supporting in 2017.
> 4. x86_64 (or amd64 ) is the native processor name for the Intel/AMD 64 bit
> architecture. It is what your older system runs.
> 5. The only way to run x86_64 on an M1 is via 'double' emulation. First you
> would have to run a virtual machine on the M1 and that virtual machine
> would have to emulate the x86_64. It would be extremely slow, inefficient
> and probably could not emulate all the hardware needed.
>
> If you are needing to update your hardware, you need to keep Linux running
> native on the system, and that system needs to be x86_64, you will either
> need to get an earlier generation Mac or a current system from Dell, HP,
> ASUS, etc.

You are correct that I don't mean Itanium, but really x86_64 binary
compatibility. I had the impression that MacOS' Rosetta II might do what I
need but it seems that it's a sort of precompiler for x86 OSX apps and thus
would be entirely infeasible for my needs.