[CentOS] Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Thu Feb 4 16:15:58 UTC 2021

On 2/4/21 9:39 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Sorry for the length....
>

> I'm posting this here since this particular transition has been
> mentioned on-list as one possibility for a path forward for current
> CentOS Linux users.  AlmaLinux, the Developer Subscription RHEL, Rocky,
> CentOS Stream, Springdale, upgrading to full RHEL; all these are also
> possibilities, too, and all have different strengths and weaknesses. The
> transition to Debian has a lot of strengths, including a long
> track-record of support (even if the support time for a particular
> release is shorter), a fully-open development model with no 'corporate
> overlord' that I know of, a large set of supported packages, and a huge
> community of developers and users.  For the CentOS user the main
> weakness is having to learn a few areas of difference in the way the
> system is setup and maintained; of course, if a ten-year 'stable'
> timeframe is really that important to you the lack of that is also a
> weakness.

Thank you, Lamar, for your post. I second what you said about strengths.
I converted a few machines to Debian myself (number cruncher that is wen
server and samba file server simultaneously, and a couple of
workstations). Oh, I forgot this: laptop I set up for my wife quite a
wile ago also runs Debian. I would add one thing (some may consider it
extra strength, others may think otherwise). Debian doesn't make any
decisions for you, so you really have to do your own thinking and
decide, say, which firewall to install. And choices are plentiful.

And as Lamar said, you will have some learning curve with which commands
to use, several will be different commands from what usually are in rpm
based distro. But that is minor thing IMHO.

And while they tolerate it, I will once again mention: Consider FreeBSD
(or any of BSD descendants) for servers. Once you are there, you will
never regret that. I do not.

Thanks again, Lamar, for detailed and very encouraging post!

Valeri