[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 11 19:46:08 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 13:39, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> >> brokenness

> >> (CentOS

> >> desktop
> >>
> >> In our situation it's not so easy to say server or client. We're running
> >> remote desktops over nx-libs, so, a server is also a client at the same
> >> time.
> >>
> >> I always new EPEL is not perfect but it was usable to some degree and
> >> that's why Red Hat told their customers about it and how to use it. But
> >> the current state of EPEL is sad.
> >>

> > EPEL is a volunteer driven repository and not many volunteers have been
> > available for EL8. Many of the past volunteers have retired or been
> > promoted out of positions they actually have time to do the work anymore.
> > Asking for replacements is not easy because most people who are
> interested
> > in EPEL just want the packages built. They have no want or clue to do the
> > work themselves and want someone else to do the work for them. This leads
> > to a lot of people expecting packages without anyone doing the work.
>
> I know what you mean but my case is a bit different. For ~ two decades I'm
> using Red Hat based distributions and built a large number of packages.
> There are even packages in RHEL which they took over from me with my
> permission. I'm maintaining quite a number of packages which sometimes
> also exist in EPEL but I always keep them up to date and available with
> the same version on all Red Hat based distributions of the past, even
> after EOL. Many of the packages are available as SRPMs to those
> interested. Usually we didn't use any critical package from EPEL because
> of the state of support it has. But it was handy to consume some slowly
> changing things like XFCE from EPEL. To find out now that even such things
> are now in a bad state is a bit sad.

My apologies, you did not deserve the rant, but the word 'sad' seems to
make me see red. I have been told things were 'sad' for EPEL from May of
2019 until now over and over again. Unlike you, most of the people are ones
who never volunteered a package but thought it was a 'given' that EPEL
would have all their packages for them. After more than a year of it.. it
is a tick and I should count to 100 before replying versus 50.

In the end, it is a bad state of affairs, but I also think that it is how
things are going. There are a LOT of people who seem to expect that this is
all for them FREE and that they can make as many demands as they want. That
tires out volunteers and eventually you end up with what happened to all
the previous 3rd party repositories.. the volunteers stop showing up to
help out. So without a reason for people to volunteer or someone paying the
4+ people needed to do the work day in and day out, the repositories end up
in a bad state.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.