[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 18 09:47:03 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Smooge, you know I feel your pain, but becoming a maintainer in EPEL has
> a pretty high bar (lots of new tools and methods to work with, amongst
> other things) -- as it SHOULD, given that it's intended as an addon to
> EL and needs to be very tightly controlled.  It's just more difficult to
> get started these days relative to when anyone could build an rpm as
> long as they had a copy of Maximum RPM and knew how to drive 'rpm -ba'
> .... back when building as root in a non-reproducible buildroot wasn't a
> cardinal sin.....

I've just started reading https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ and
realized this became a problem which hurts EPEL much more than Fedora.

IMHO it simply got too difficult to maintain packages for quite a number
of software tools. It explains why there are so many missing, outdated or
dead packages in Fedora and more so in EPEL.

What worries me even more is that things have changed to be worse with
every release than becoming better.

Regards,
Simon