[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 18 17:04:19 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 04:47, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
>

>> > Smooge, you know I feel your pain, but becoming a maintainer in EPEL
>> has
>> > a pretty high bar (lots of new tools and methods to work with, amongst
>> > other things) -- as it SHOULD, given that it's intended as an addon to
>> > EL and needs to be very tightly controlled.  It's just more difficult
>> > get started these days relative to when anyone could build an rpm as
>> > long as they had a copy of Maximum RPM and knew how to drive 'rpm -ba'
>> > .... back when building as root in a non-reproducible buildroot wasn't
>> > cardinal sin.....
>> >

>> I've just started reading https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ and
>> realized this became a problem which hurts EPEL much more than Fedora.
>>
>> IMHO it simply got too difficult to maintain packages for quite a number
>> of software tools. It explains why there are so many missing, outdated
>> or
>> dead packages in Fedora and more so in EPEL.
>>
>> What worries me even more is that things have changed to be worse with
>> every release than becoming better.
>>

> To put it bluntly, is that there are multiple issues going on:
>
> 1. We have a large number of people who have gotten used to someone else
> doing the work for them and not having to care about the software
> themselves. In doing so they have this idea that building the software is
> exactly like it was when they got into computers. [* This isn't a new
> phenomena]
> 2. Software gets more complicated and more interdependent to do the many
> things software consumers expect it to accomplish.
> 3. Software changes more rapidly because more people are able to work on
> code and people have this odd thing of deciding that whoever wrote the
> code
> last was a complete idiot and this new method/language is much better.
> [The
> only time it is funny is the once a week where a git blame shows you that
> the last idiot was you.]
> 4. With millions of software consumers, there are millions of 'opinions'
> of
> what they need and Linux being a system which allows you to shoot your
> foot
> in a billion ways tries to accomplish all of them.
>
> * When I was getting into software in the 1990's there were a lot of
> people
> who had been using Unix systems from the 1970's who found 'modern'
> software
> to be too complicated to build and coders were out of their minds for
> adding in such complexity when no one needed an editor more than ed. At
> the
> time I thought they were 'joking' but when I went to work at various
> places
> I found they were dead serious. The change is that where in the 1990's
> [...]

Well, unfortunately yes, EPEL is on a good way to go where DAG, ATrpms,
NUX, freshrpms and all the others already are.

Ironically, CentOS was the reason for other clones like Scientific Linux
to vanish, now CentOS Linux vanishes itself. The same goes with EPEL, it
was one nail in the coffin of so many third party repositories, now it
seems to go there as well.

What is even more sad is the fact that everybody is now waiting for Navy
Linux, Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux to get their huge work done to produce
three, technically mostly identical systems. They'll still all lack the
same thing which is a good package repository for things not found in
RHEL.

Doesn't it mean burning a huge amount of CPU cycles and storage for little
additional gain in the end?

Sadly, that's not how open source works best.