[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 25 13:27:42 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 7:31 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> EPEL
>> has
>> amongst
>> difficult
>> as
>> -ba'
>> wasn't a

>> There

>> > Thanks Johnny for reminding. I was wondering why the situation for EL8
>> is
>> > so much worse than for EL7 and that was true before CentOS Stream came
>> up.
>> >
>> > In the end I have never been happy with the new modules system and how
>> it
>> > makes packaging much more difficult than it was and than it should be.
>> >
>> > IMHO the hurdles to build high quality packages should be as simple as
>> > possible but the difficulties to do so went in the wrong direction.
>> The
>> > result we see now. Today we have an unstable distribution (Fedora)
>> with a
>> > quite good and comprehensive package set, and we have stable (EL) with
>> an
>> > unstable and lacking package set.
>> >

>> Even without modules (A person wrote a program which undid some of those
>> problems for us in EPEL), EL8 is not easy to build. Packages and
>> software
>> themselves have gotten more interdependent and complex. This leads to a
>> larger and larger chain of 'buildrequires' and 'requires' for each
>> package.
>> To get some of the XFCE packages into EPEL you need to bring into EPEL
>> all
>> kinds of quaternary packages so you can build the tertiary packages
>> which
>> are needed for the secondary packages which allow you to get something
>> like
>> xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.2.1-7.fc33.src.rpm built. Each of those packages
>> needs a maintainer who wants to deal with them in EPEL which requires
>> them
>> to run an EL to test.
>>
>> I tried an experiment during the RHEL-8 beta to see what it would take
>> get EPEL-8 1:1 with EPEL-7.. I gave up after adding nearly a thousand
>> packages to the 'build chain' which were not in EPEL-7 nor even in the
>> RHEL-8 beta or its 'buildroot'. These were mainly packages that are in
>> Fedora already and would need to be maintained in EPEL and no one wants
>> do that.
>>
>> This was supposed to be a problem modularity was to fix.. so you need
>> 100
>> packages not in EPEL for your 1 application set, and you don't  want to
>> maintain those extra packages? Just put them inside your module build
>> chain
>> and deliver what you wanted. Of course that is still a monumental task
>> and
> [...]

Both Debian and Fedora have a much larger package base and try to keep
those alive step by step.

EL on the other side has a very limited, supported package set and
therefore a lot of packages needed to build a lot of packages are just
missing.

It's my impression that most development power goes into the limited base
system and cloud, container and all the newer fancy stuff.

Simon