[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 25 16:54:00 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 10:07, J Martin Rushton <
martinrushton56 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 25/02/2021 14:49, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 09:13, J Martin Rushton via CentOS
> > <centos at centos.org <mailto:centos at centos.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 25/02/2021 13:37, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >
> >     I was recently looking at Raymond's book "The Art of UNIX
> Programming"
> >     from 2003.  He, along with contributors Thompson (inventor of UNIX),
> >     Kernigham (C and AWK), Korn and others of that callibre, espouse
> >     creating "little tools" that do one job reliably and well.  The
> >     likes of
> >     Gnome or systemd certainly would never fit into this philosophy.  I
> >     really think we have lost a lot of maintainability and ease of
> >     management over the last 20 years as applications are stretched to do
> >     ever more.
> >

> > Maybe but everytime someone says "I think these are too complex" they
> > then turn around and say "but I really need this to do this one more
> > thing." Also the complexity of tools is generational. The oldschool
> > 1970's Unix people were screaming that the 1980's software was too
> > complex because various flags had been added to central commands. The
> > 1980's people complained that even early Linux was too complex because
> > it had so much more software that depended on each other. And so forth.
> >
> > In the X11 world, there were as many people saying FVWM was way too
> > complex when twm was all you needed and it was making software too hard
> > to build. BUT could you get twm to work on our new monitor which has a
> > different view screen feature that made the fonts look like crap.
> >
> > The counter argument I heard from a 1970's Unix era person was "Software
> > gets more complicated over time as we find that more problems need to be
> > solved. You either keep up with it, or get out of software." He was
> > working in software until his death a short while ago in his 80's.
> >
> >     --
> >     J Martin Rushton MBCS
> >

> > --
> > Stephen J Smoogen.
> >
> The irony being that moving to UNIX I had it drummed into me that the
> one tool-one job ethos was a great advance upon the rigidly defined and
> integrated monolith of VMS.  Oh, and that was in the 1990s.
> --
> J Martin Rushton MBCS

And everyone I worked with told me that Unix was a poor reinvention of
TSX-11 where you could get real work done. But since VMS came out over a
decade after Unix, I can't say Unix is an advance over VMS.

In any case this is devolving into the 4 Yorkshiremen skit so I am done
here.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.