[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 25 21:35:12 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 16:10, Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:

> Il 2021-02-25 14:27 Simon Matter ha scritto:
> > EL on the other side has a very limited, supported package set and
> > therefore a lot of packages needed to build a lot of packages are just
> > missing.
>
> Yeah, same impressions here. EPEL really is a key package repository for
> RHEL - and I always wondered why they did not invest into maintaining
> (and extending) this excellent repo.

Mainly because customers don't want to pay for that work which is
considerable. If Red Hat builds it, it is expected to have all kinds of
'promises' equivalent to its other products and that is expensive in terms
of QA, engineering, documentation, various certifications, etc. Package
growth goes up quickly so if people are complaining about the cost of a
RHEL license for 4000 src rpms, then what would it be at 20,000 to 30,000.
It is easier to allow the community to choose to do the work it wants and
then 'consumers' of said repository get what they can.

> I think RH now is extremely focused on cloud and SaaS platform, which
> leave us "normal" sysadmin in an uncomfortable situation...

I think the industry is entering another crux point where 'classical'
system administration will be in the same class as mainframe/miniframe
system administration were in the late 1980's and early 1990's with Unix
systems and then Linux. Our wor will remain incredibly important to various
industries but it will increasingly be a smaller amount of 'total
deployments'.  Which is why so many of our conversations echo so much of
the USEnet in the early-1990s, where mainframes/miniframes admins wondered
why companies were not focusing on their industries anymore.