[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Fri Feb 26 16:22:18 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 17:26, Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:

> Il 2021-02-25 22:35 Stephen John Smoogen ha scritto:
> > Mainly because customers don't want to pay for that work which is
> > considerable. If Red Hat builds it, it is expected to have all kinds of
> > 'promises' equivalent to its other products and that is expensive in
> > terms
> > of QA, engineering, documentation, various certifications, etc. Package
> > growth goes up quickly so if people are complaining about the cost of a
> > RHEL license for 4000 src rpms, then what would it be at 20,000 to
> > 30,000.
> > It is easier to allow the community to choose to do the work it wants
> > and
> > then 'consumers' of said repository get what they can.
>
> [Including Valeri] I doubt it. Price is mainly defined by offer and
> demand (which is, in turn, driven by how much value the customer put
> behind the product). While production/support cost can put a lower bound
> on it, I don't think this is the case for Red Hat.

The fun part about this doubt is that anyone should be able to prove it
right or wrong easily. All it takes is to set up a build system, recompile
all the code from Fedora wanted in it, and then offer support contracts to
cover work on it. If there is a market for it then they can set the price
to cover all 20,000 packages and then find out what is expected by the
customer for the prices charged.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.