[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Wed Jan 6 20:50:05 UTC 2021
Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021, 2:44 PM Jamie Burchell <mail at jamieburchell.com> wrote:

> I'll be the first to admit I don't like change and arguably I'm in the
> wrong industry for that, but that's another matter. However I don't want to
> throw away years of experience with CentOS/Fedora and time invested (mine
> personally and my company's) learning and perfecting setups of which I have
> now around 50. A fair few of my Ansible setup are EL only, both from Galaxy
> and custom. I'm used to the layout, the packages, and what you'd expect
> after ~10 years of working with it.
>
> At the moment my question possibly would have been better phrased "Why
> isn't Streama suitable platform for a production web server".
>
> I get that everyone including myself is frustrated by the situation and so
> I'm trying to filter out the doomsayers and those who want to annoy RH by
> saying they are jumping to another distro like Debian. To me, I'm thinking
> at least for my situation and has already been said, Stream might actually
> be a positive but I shall wait and see what happens. And as for the 5 years
> LTS, that will be the same for every distro anyway.
>
> Cheers
> Jamie

Or you could move today to Springdale linux or Oracle or one of the new
RHEL clones that will still be based on  RHEL and have the same 10 year
release cycle. Springdale and Oracle are options today and there are a
couple more that are supposedly going to come online 1st or 2nd quarter,
there are options.