[CentOS] RHEL changes

Thu Jan 21 22:40:13 UTC 2021

On 1/21/21 4:30 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 05:23:24PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 17:15, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>>

>> I think from years of posting that FreeBSD is how Valeri's brain works best
>> and that is cool. Some people have certain OS paradigms where they function
>> best and are able to solve problems better than another system.
>
> Like Valeri, I have a fondness for FreeBSD. Regardless, I think Nicolas is
> correct. I remember reading a post in an old usenet (I think) discussion of
> mutt vs. pine (before it became alpine) where someone said words to the
> effect of, People pull up all sorts of technical reasons to justify
> what is, in the end, an emotional decision.

I learned one truth working for many years for scientists: the best
thing is what works best for _YOU_, with which YOU are most efficient.

I do keep bringing up FreeBSD, as I conscientiously switched servers to
it. And during first maybe year I was catching myself with "Linuxisms"
on FreeBSD. Later I often caught myself with "FreeBSD-isms" on Linux.
But if your future road is long, then at the pivoting point it really is
good to step up above everything and estimate (with open mind) what
might be beneficial in your future. That is why I bring up non-Linux
system I know (more or less). Were I knowing others as well (OpenBSD,
NetBSD, ...) I would be mentioning them too.

And all that in a hope it may help someone (and with understanding it
may annoy many).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator