[CentOS] RHEL changes

Thu Jan 21 23:10:23 UTC 2021

On 1/21/21 4:50 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 21/01/2021 à 23:18, Valeri Galtsev a écrit :
>> No, I already streamlined Debian routine installation (workstations and number
>> crunchers), and servers run FreeBSD since loooong ago, so I'm all set, and much
>> better than in the past ;-)
>>
>> Thanks though.
>
> Debian has an average of two years[*] per support.

There is "stretch", which is equivalent of more known as LTS of Ubuntu:
5 years. And then, there is easy in place upgrade from regular or
"stretch" to next release.

But no, I will not argue against uniqueness of 10 year life cycle of
RedHat. I just said that my life [with Debian] will be no bigger hassle
than it was [with CentOS].

The only difference of Debian is: it has vast collection of everything,
so you really need to make your own choices. But if it's done once, you
can in one go tell next installation to install all the same software
(packages). Of course, I, being a simple guy, had much simpler life with
CentOS, just choose all software groups that sound relevant... (jus
grossly exaggerating ;-) But with huge collection like Debian one (or
like FreeBSD ports are, or macports for MacOS) once you spent time
shaping system to your preference, you are done, and all next systems
are rather routine, almost as unattended as RedHat/CentOS kickstart
install is.

Valeri

> Oracle has ten like upstream RHEL.
>
> Choice is pretty clear to me.
>
> [*] one year after subsequent release, so an average of one to three years
> depending on installation date

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago