[CentOS] RHEL changes

Fri Jan 22 15:15:28 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Le 21/01/2021 à 23:30, Scott Robbins a écrit :
>> People pull up all sorts of technical reasons to justify
>> what is, in the end, an emotional decision.
>
> There is, of course, the possibility to go beyond that. For example, I am
> not
> exactly fond of Oracle as a company, for reasons you probably know as good
> as
> me. They did some horrible things to Solaris, MySQL and Java, their CEO

IMHO they didn't do anything horrible to us. They just wasted a lot of
money buying companies and then didn't continue the open source
developments in a way which worked for the community. However the project
are not dead by now, they just run under a different name these days.

> supported Trump, etc. But it also happens that they do have one of the

IMHO it's a feature of something called democracy that even CEOs are free
to support whoever they want - without asking anyone and like everybody
else.

> better
> maintained RHEL clones out there, with fast updates and an excellent
> documentation.

For me OL works very well. I've just modified the migration/installation
so that it removes all OL specific stuff like UEK and changes things back
to upstream EL versions. If I ever regret the move to OL I know know quite
well how to migrate to another clone. And I mean a full migration which
changes every bit.

Simon