[CentOS] Is EPEL compatible with Stream?

Mon Jan 4 14:11:29 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 23:05, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/3/21 8:34 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 18:20, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Yes.  CentOS Stream is expected to be backward-compatible with RHEL, for
> >> the same reason that each RHEL point release is backward-compatible with
> >> previous point releases.
> >>

> > Except in cases where packages in a RHEL point release are being rebased.
> > This is something which is happening with a lot more gusto than in any
> > previous releases so there may be points where say a QT or a
> > gnomelib provides in Stream is ahead of EPEL
> >

> So how would one use this shiny bit of information?  Is there a way to
> discover if an EPEL application is going to clobber your system before
> you install it?

Unless you are doing something like 'rpm -ivh --force --nodeps', this
problem with EPEL is not going to clobber your system. What will happen is
that you can either 'not upgrade' to that package in EPEL because nothing
provides the needed dependencies in Stream. OR you won't be able to update
to whatever is newer in CentOS Stream because it would break your system
because it removes dependencies.

The solution will be that there will be an EPEL-Stream which can have
updated packages which will not have this dependency issue. I do not have
an ETA on when that will be available