[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Tue Jan 5 23:39:04 UTC 2021

On 1/5/21 5:19 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 1/5/21 3:02 PM, Jamie Burchell wrote:
>> We will need to (manually) migrate to Stream 9.x after 5 years instead of
>> 10 though?
>

> Yes.  CentOS Stream has a lifecycle comparable with other LTS
> distributions.

And as someone mentioned, these other distributions have long great
record of system upgrade from one release to another. CentOS has no
record (and probably no upgrade engineered yet). In that respect CentOS
Stream is way behind Debian (and clones) LTS. Not to mention other
potentially problematic areas as no package version rollback,
compatibility (potential) with EPEL, and other things I don't what to
attempt to think about. As everything with newly architectured
distribution which hasn't proven itself during long time suitable for
specific things.

No disrespect intended. To the contrary: GREAT THANKS to hard working
CentOS team for all your past work! And best wished to establish
viability of absolutely new - and different - distribution: CentOS Stream.

And while people still ask and the list still tolerates, I will mention
the system I fled my servers from Linux 6 or 7 years ago to:

FreeBSD

On average update requiring FreeBSD reboot happens as rarely as once 7-8
Months (Linux on average every 45 days: kernel or glibc security update
--> reboot).

Good luck everybody who didn't arrive at final decision yet to find you
way for the future.

Thanks again, CentOS team for the great system you gave us for decades
up until now!

Valeri