[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Wed Jan 6 16:16:35 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

>> of

>> CentOS
>> >>

>> > Fedora's package set is quite "stable". You can expect that a package
>> is
>> > in the next release. This is not so valid for EL. Deprecated packages
>> > (ImageMagick in EL7 but not in EL8) make such upgrade path difficult
>>
>> It's anyway hard to understand how an enterprise grade Linux can be
>> shipped without things like ImageMagick or Tomcat. For quite some time
>> now
>> it gives me the impression that we're not the targeted audience anymore.
>>

> The issue is that 'Enterprise' is an overloaded term without the nuance it
> needs. In the 'small' enterprise you have a lot of use of ImageMagick and
> TomCat. In the large enterprise of 100,000+ servers.. it isn't. As more of
> the large enterprises moved into RHEL, the amount of usage for a lot of
> 'leaf' programs became rounding errors without enough usage to justify the
> bug-fixing needed when compared to the load of bugfixing/enhancements/etc
> in the 100k customers.

Thanks for confirming that RHEL is the wrong OS for SME businesses these
days. It's not really good for SME servers and not really good for SME
clients. Something between Fedora and RHEL could be it but it doesn't
exist.

BTW, servers? Who needs servers in the days of clouds and serverless
computing :-)

Simon